Rideshare Safety Tips and Tricks for Travelers
Popular rideshare apps add convenience to our everyday lives. Whether we need a ride to work, the airport, or a trip downtown, rideshare allows us to get where we need to go quickly and easily. However, despite the popularity of rideshare, there are a few risks that come along with using apps like Uber and Lyft. This guide is going to dive into some rideshare safety tips and tricks for travelers to help you stay safe while using rideshare.
Read more: What Can I Use the Toyota+Alexa® System For?
7 Rideshare Safety Tips
- Avoid riding alone in a rideshare whenever possible. If you ever need to take an Uber or Lyft alone try to get a ride while it is still light out and do not ride alone at night.
- When your ride arrives always ask “Who are you here for?” Do not give them your name in order to find out if the ride is for you. You may be talking to someone impersonating a driver.
- Verify the driver and their vehicle match the description given to you by the app. Even if the driver matches but the vehicle doesn’t, don’t take the ride. It is against many rideshare app policies for a driver to use a vehicle that is not registered with their profile.
- Use the trip-sharing features in the Uber and Lyft apps to allow a friend or family member to track your ride. It is also helpful to make a phone call, or a fake one, and mention that you are taking an Uber or Lyft and give an ETA. This lets the driver know that others are aware of your trip as well as what time you should be arriving.
- If it is possible, sit in the back row of the vehicle. This gives you more exit opportunities and keeps more space between you and your driver.
- Trust your gut. If the driver is making you feel uneasy or is directing which seat for you to sit in then skip out on the ride and order another. Take any red flags seriously and avoid riding with someone who is making you uncomfortable.
- Leave feedback on the driver to keep Uber or Lyft and other riders aware of how your ride was. If the driver made you uncomfortable or drove in an unsafe manner, then make it known.
Traveling and nights out are made easier with the help of rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft. It is incredibly important, however, to keep safety at the front of your mind when participating in rideshare. Follow these tips to help you stay safe out on the road and if you are looking to become a rideshare driver then head over to our online inventory to view our lineup of new and pre-owned vehicles.